|Andrea (Andi) Rice
Osage County Emergency Management Director
P.O. Box 192
205 E Main St
Linn , MO 65051
"Shelter-In-Place” may be one of the instructions you are given by emergency responders in an situation where hazardous materials have been released into the atmosphere. This is a precaution aimed to keep you safe while remaining indoors. To “Shelter-In-Place” means selecting a small, interior room, with few or windows, and taking refuge there until given an “All Clear” by emergency responders. If you are told to “Shelter-In-Place”, follow these instructions:
ü Move people and pets to an interior room inside your home. Close and seal all doors, windows and vents with plastic and duct tape. Turn off heating and air conditioning units.
ü Turn on the radio to 106.9 FM for further emergency information.
ü Stay off of the telephone to keep lines open for emergency use. Continue to “Shelter-In-Place” until the “All Clear” has been given.
“Shelter-In-Place” procedures would be quicker and more efficient if you had a “Shelter-In-Place” emergency kit prepared. Assemble the following items and store them in your pre-designated “Shelter-In-Place” room inside your home or business:
- Storage box to keep supplies in.
- Battery operated radio with extra batteries.
- Pre-cut plastic sheeting, labeled for all doors, windows or vents located in your room.
- Duct tape to seal around doors, windows, and vents.
- Have towels available. Wet towels can be used to seal cracks under doors and to breathe through, if necessary.
Be Prepared! Have your kit available for a hazardous material emergency.